Season 4 was probably the first time I had a handle of things throughout the post-production process. Editing was really smooth and videos were posted regularly with only one mishap. Recording on the other hand was kind a nightmare.
We discussed in the video the problem we had wherein Shadowplay botched the video/audio sync (which it has done before and since), but there was also another audio problem that you may not have noticed. Long story short, my audacity didn’t record beyond the first few minutes during the couple of times I restarted it, and Brandon forgot to change his recording device from his crappy headset to his expensive desktop microphone. Luckily Brandon also told me to record our TeamSpeak audio before we started, and that’s what we ended up using.
So what I learned that I want to pass on first is: make backups. It’s much harder to do for video, but at least for audio, have your local Audacity recordings (which is ideal) and a Skype/TeamSpeak/mumble recorder, or have your video record your commentary as well if all else fails.
Splitting tracks leads me into something I didn’t go into for the Neptunia video, but part of the reason we made that was to test a new audio setup, which is my second piece of advice.
Split your audio tracks as much as possible whenever possible.
I could have made Seasons 1, 2, & 3 so much better had I know this at the time, and now that I’ve worked with separate audio tracks, I never want to go back. If you’ve got the time you can take out coughs and sneezes and minor problems, and if not you can at the very least level everyone’s audio to about the same volume.
Lastly, and this one is already super obvious to some people, a bit about post-production.
Upload and have as many videos ready to move from “unlisted/private” to “pubic” as possible.
For seasons 1 and 2 I rendered the videos the day of, and that turned out terribly. For Season 3 I thought I got smart and at least edited and rendered most of them beforehand, forgetting that YouTube takes a long time to upload. So for this season I uploaded about the first 6 episodes before we even announced the season. Aside from YouTube not letting me schedule multiple videos in advance for some reason, it worked out fantastically.
In the future I might do some “What I Learned” for the prior 3 seasons, but no promises. Until then, look forward to the next project we’re doing and Interactive Friction Season 5 after that.